Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Coaches

Today the Yankees fired their conditioning coach after another Yankee player went down with a hamstring injury last night. The league's top pitching prospect, Phil Hughes, had a no hitter going into the 7th inning in just his second start ever. But he had to be taken out of the game and will be side lined for over a month due to a hamstring injury. This after Mussina, Wang, Pavano, and Matsui all went down with injuries in the first month of the season. Rumor has it that the training program this conditioning coach used was causing all of these injuries. So after last night, Cashman and the Boss let him go. All this talk about coaching makes me want to show some classic coaching speeches I've collected:

Bobby Knight Half Time Speech- This is one of my favorite sound clips of all time. I mean to be honest, I wouldn't call it a successful pep talk. Then again he is the most winning college basketball coach of all time. Love him or hate him, this speech is hilarious. Also, parental discretion is advised.

Friday Night Lights Half Time- I have to say, Billy Bob Thornton is kind of a douche bag, but this is the one movie I actually like him in.

Not Sure How to Label This One- I'm not even sure what sport this is. I'm guessing it's rugby, or maybe Aussie Rules Football. Either way, between the accent, the amateur footage, and just the look of these guys, this is a great clip.

Coolest Video On This List- This guy is the man. I'm not gonna lie, the music makes the whole thing much better. But if someone told me this was from a movie, I would completely believe it. I feel like killing someone after hearing this guy talk.

Billy Donovan- This is Billy's speech to the Gaters before their first of back to back national championships. I wish they could put cameras in the locker rooms for every speech. That would really be amazing.

Miracle - This is the best inspirational speech I've ever heard in my life, hands down. This movie, and really this speech, is what made me want to become a hockey coach.

Hoosiers- This is probably the worst speech and the worst acting I've ever seen. I just had to throw this one in. To my shame, I have actually not seen this movie yet. Apparently it's a classic sports movie. But just look at how stupid this clip is.

No comments: