Monday, April 30, 2007

NFL Draft II

It was so nice being at college for the draft instead of home. At home, I would have been up at like 9:30 or 10:00 and sat around waiting 2 hours for the draft to start. But at school I wake up at about 11:45, tell Steve to throw me the remote, flip on channel 36, and stay in bed until 4:oo in the afternoon watching the draft. The other nice thing is that you are in an environment where there are about 20 other guys all going nuts after each pick, yelling to each other through the walls (all from our respective beds).

Anyway, I have a few notables from the draft that I'd like to discuss:


1. The commentators-- I actually thought they did a terrific job covering the draft throughout the entire day. Usually after like the 14th pick, Boomer, Mort, and Jaws have absolutely nothing left to say, but still have to stay on the air live for the next 7 hours. It reminds me of high school guys trying to impress a girl. They just sit there picking their brains looking for anything to say that will evoke a positive response. I was waiting for Berman to say something like, "So, uh, anybody see House last week?"

2. Keyshawn Johnson-- I haven't heard much talk about his performance this weekend. I'm a Jets fan so obviously I don't like KJ, but he was unbelievable as an analyst with the other three professionals. His book "Just Give Me The Damn Ball" must have really propelled his confidence, because he was actually well spoken, charasmatic, smart, even funny. I'd say the odds of him becoming an ESPN analyst in a few years are about as good as Randy Moss and Brandom Merriweather teaming up to commit armed robbery: very high.

3. That's actually a nice segway into my next notable: The patriots deciding that maybe the Bengals are on to something by filling up their entire roster with criminals. Brandon Merriweather is obviously a solid safety, coming from the same school as Ed Reed and Sean Taylor, but he was also the guy stomping on that FIU player's head in the huge brawl, plus he shot a hand gun at a guy who was apparently trying to kill his roomate. I love the people that defend the latter of his actions by saying that what he did was technically legal. But one G wasn't enough for the Pats as they also acquired Randy Moss from the Raiders. The newest shut down cornerback for the Jets won't have to worry about Randy too much, because chances are he'll be in jail or unemployed after this season.

This video makes me single handedly love Vince Young and the University of Texas

No comments: